Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of my deed?

If you have a book and page number:

1. Using a computer terminal: Click on the Book & Page Icon... This will bring you to the area to enter the book & page number, then hit submit: Click on the book and page result that appears relative to your search. The document image will appear on the right next to the indexing information. If you need copies, Choose to print all or specific pages of the document and add it to the print manager. Submit the documents to the printer when you are ready to check out, it will ask you to enter your name. Proceed to copy center to pick up and pay for your copies.

2. If you have the book and page number and cannot travel to the Registry of Deeds, you can request copies by mail. Give us a call, we will let you know the cost of the copies and will request that you send us a written request along with payment for the copies. Copy requests are mailed the same day they are received. You can also obtain copies from our internet site.

What if I don't know the book and page number?

If you don't know the book and page number, you will need to have an approximate year that the transaction took place along with the name of the property owner.

You will need to use the Grantor or Grantee index to locate a book and page for the document that you want copied.

You can use any of the computer terminals to search by book and page, grantor or grantee, consideration, plan or instrument number, legal description, document type or record date.
If you need assistance in using any of the computers, books, film or any other piece of equipment in the Registry of Deeds, please ask for assistance.

Can I look up something if I have the address?

All of the records in the Registry of Deeds are indexed by name and date. You can try a legal description and town search, but it is preferred to have an owner’s name to search.

You must have at least a last name of either a current or former owner of the property in order to attempt to locate a record in this office.

If you do not know any of the owners of the property and only have an address, you need to contact the assessor or tax collector of the Town or City for the property that you are looking for. They will be able to tell you who the current owner is by address. Once you have the name, then you can access the records in the Registry to find any transactions relative to that name.

What if I have a tax map and lot number?

Again, you must have a name, if you don’t, please contact the Town or City to obtain the name of the individual being listed as the owner of the property. You can also try a legal description and town search, but again, a name is preferred to search.

Is there a plan/survey of my property on record?

If you have had your land surveyed, quite often the plan will be filed with the Registry of Deeds. If you have not had your land surveyed, but think that there may be a plan on file, we will show you how to use the computer system to look under your name, development names, subdivision names, former owners and abutters of your property to see if there is a plan on file.

Copies of plans on file are available, either on a legal size page or to scale, just send the request to the copy center personnel.

What is the difference between a grantor and a grantee?

A GRANTOR is typically one of the following:

The Seller of the property, the Borrower (mortgagor) of money, the Defendant in an attachment, the Debtor in UCC filings and you will also find any individual that is giving or granting something or making a statement will be listed as the Grantor.

A GRANTEE is typically one of the following:

The Buyer of the property, the Lender (mortgagee) of money, the Plaintiff in an attachment, the Secured Party in UCC filings and you will also find any individual that is the receiver of something or accepting something, listed as the Grantee.

How can I find out the purchase price of the property?

The Registry of Deeds collects the State of NH Real Estate Transfer Tax and the State Surcharge for the Land & Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) we are agents for the State in collecting these taxes. Both of these fees are paid at the time of recording to the Registry of Deeds.

When property is transferred, unless there is a legal exemption claimed on the deed, a tax stamp or other indicia will be affixed to the document which relates to the purchase price paid for the property.

The transfer tax rate varies depending on the time frame of the transaction, based on the date of the deed. There are charts located on the bulletin boards that list the rates for each year.

If you have the amount of the stamp, check the chart to obtain the rate of the tax, divide the stamp by the rate shown. This will give you the purchase price.

What's the difference between a quitclaim deed and a warranty deed?

If you have any questions relative to the type of document and what effect it has, you should consult with your attorney.

We are not able to search records, interpret documents, explain their purpose, help fill out forms, supply forms, or explain legal procedures.

We suggest that you contact your attorney for legal questions.

How do I change a name on my deed?

The only way to change, add or remove a name on a deed is to have a new deed drawn up. Once a document is recorded, it cannot be changed. To show any change in ownership of property, you need to have a new deed drawn up. In order to protect your legal interests, we strongly suggest that you contact your attorney to have this done for you.

I had a lien filed against me that is now paid, are you going to remove the lien?

Records found in the index are never removed. Once a document has been filed, it remains a part of the title history. As each transaction occurs that affects the title to the property, it is recorded and becomes an integral part of the history of the property and the owners. If a lien is filed and is subsequently paid and the release is filed, then a search of the records will show that the lien has been satisfied.

If you have problems concerning a credit report, the consumer relations number for Credit Bureau Services of NH is 1-800-632-1765.

I found the document that I want to look at and it says see record, what does that mean?

In the index, the surname, date of recording, given name, name of party that it is to or from, book and page, location if given, type of document and a brief description if available. See record means that a definitive location was not available, so you must read the description to determine where it is situated.

What kind of information can I find in the records?

All of the records in the Registry of Deeds are public information. Any transaction that pertains to real estate would be recorded here. Conveyances, mortgages, real estate tax liens, federal liens, discharges, attachments, UCC's, leases, plans, assignments and other like documents.

If you have any questions pertaining to how a document would be indexed, please ask.

Further Questions?

Please feel free to ask the staff for assistance. Please remember though, we are only a recording office; we cannot give you legal advice.